Monday, July 19, 2010

.460 Rowland conversion kit is here! EEEEEEEE!!

Clark's barrel smith finally got in last week and freed this bad boy from the billet steel it had been imprisoned in until just now.  I have to say she's glad to be free!  I had to specify exactly what model this barrel is going into, but I can see why now.  The barrel matches up with the slide and locking lugs absolutely flawlessly, and with the compensator matching up very nicely with the bushing and slide, there's absolutely no play in the pistol when rolled from side to side. I also installed the Wolff 24# spring and extra-strength firing pin spring.  A thing of beauty to be seen.  Despite all the brouhaha about the heavy spring making it hard to reassemble and work the slide, I don't think it's all that difficult after you get the technique down for reassembly, and I have big gorilla hands, and I'm not really a weakling, so the slide doesn't seem like that big of a deal, either.  If you're smallish, weakish, or an average woman (no offense intended) I could see it possibly posing a problem.
I absolutely can't wait to get this gun out to the range and put some rounds through it and see if this tightness affects reliability, and can't wait to see what kind of groups it posts.
Unfortunately, Clark Custom Guns either forgot the .460 brass, or are themselves backordered because the 200 I ordered with the barrel did not arrive, and I was never charged for them onto my card.  Midway USA is backordered, as is Starline Brass.  This does not bode well.  Somebody on one of my outdoors forums has put me onto the trail of some pre-loaded ammunition (factory or local loads, I don't know yet) but I'm a little worried as to price.  $25 for 100 brass ain't that bad, considering it can use bullets, powder, primers, and dies for .45 ACP I already have, but I can only guess as to what a local shop might charge for what could be considered "custom" or "niche" ammunition.

ETA:  I got some ammunition from Wild West Guns (for $30 a box, 230 gn. FMJs @ 1250 FPS).  Just waiting for my off time and the sport fire range on Ft. Rich to cooperate.  They're non-accessible today due to a unit using the range.  Weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment